Friday, September 08, 2006

Music Trivia For Morons

Most everybody knows that I run the Trivia contests at the Lip. Every Thursday, we have Movie Trivia at 7 PM. Last night, it was great, as Cindy, Tim, Lauren, Hank, Nicole, Sky and Brandon-- the team known as Eighth Grade English took the victory in an exciting come-from-behind upset. They were in 5th place out of 6 teams before the bonus question. But James Bond's Goldfinger netted them a $50 Lipstick Lounge gift certificate, and two tickets to see the Indigo Girls at the Ryman on October 3rd. Pretty cool huh?

Trivia is a great way to pass an evening with friends. I really enjoy Music Trivia on Tuesdays. The songs just bring back so many memories. People who were major superstars in 1982 are today a footnote, or a vague recollection. The Music Trivia contest covers any popular music genre-- rock, soul, country, rap, hip-hop, pop-- from 1955 forward. So if you think you know music, it should challenge your brain in really fun way. Come out and play!

Of course, not everybody is a trivia genius. Especially the good folks who swap music illegally on Limewire. I generally buy my music-- really I do-- but I have been known to dabble in piracy. It always frustrates me though, because half the music I get isn't really what I was expecting. I have learned a number of good bits of trivia misinformation among all the incorrectly labeled stuff on that resource. For example:

1. Every rock song recorded by a female in the 1980s was done by Pat Benatar, including "Bette Davis Eyes" (really Kim Carnes), "Total Eclipse of the Heart" (actually Bonnie Tyler), "The Warrior" (in reality Scandal featuring Patty Smyth), "I Love Rock 'N' Roll" (in fact Joan Jett & The Blackhearts), and "Black Velvet" (really sung by Allanah Myles). Interestingly enough, she also recorded (evidently) "Hot Child In The City" back in the late 1970s (actually, it was Nick Guilder).

2. The lead singer gets all the credit for any work done by a group. Sting is totally responsible for "Every Breath You Take." Phil Collins is the only artist on "Invisible Touch." And mostly, "Satisfaction" is the product of one Mick Jagger.

3. Any song done by Cheap Trick, Yes, Kansas, Foreigner or Asia may be credited to Journey.

4. Any easy-listening song ever recorded before 1960 by a single male vocalist was Frank Sinatra. Perry Como, Dean Martin, Tony Bennett and Mel Tormé never existed.

5. Elvis Presley, Carl Perkins and Jerry Lee Lewis are, in fact, the same person.

6. If it is a disco song sung by a female, it is Donna Summer. So Gloria Gaynor had nothing to do with "I Will Survive," Amii Stewart never recorded "Knock On Wood," and Anita Ward is clearly falsely claiming credit for "Ring My Bell."

What gets me is, if you're going to take the time to put the info in the file, shouldn't you know it's correct? Why not just list it as "Track 12?" Or put the title with no artist if you don't know (and probably don't care). Save us who do some trouble.

Of course, beggars can't be choosers. And bitching about the music you steal is kinda... well... it's morally reprehensible. So don't steal music! And if you do, don't bitch about it!

A great resource for cheap legal music is GoMusic. It could be run by the Russian mafia, but what do I care? I'd just as soon trust them with my credit card number as anybody, I guess. Vladimir and Boris... ya tibya lyublyu, malchicki! That's Russian sweet talk to keep their goons on my good side so they don't break my legs. 'Coz I really need to download some ABBA.

Peace!

Tom

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home