Monday, March 27, 2006

Sunday Night Very Special

I just got back from the Sunday Night Special at the Lip. A lot of you may think I'm in the Lipstick Lounge every time the doors are open, but that's not so. I do spend a hellacious amount of time there, and an equally hellacious amount of time thinking about it when I'm not there. Sunday is usually my night to chill out at home.

But Jon Bozeman wanted me to come see him play there. I hooked him up with Cathey Stamps about six weeks ago, and he's been so excited about his gig. I love Jon's CD, so I figured I'd check him out live. I was not disappointed. My favorites from the album were really nicely done, all stripped-down and acoustic, with Stamps backing him up on percussion. Jon put out one song that really knocked the crowd out. It was called "Best of Me," and he has blogged the lyrics on his MySpace page. Check it out.

Also on the bill were Amy Loftus, whom I knew by reputation but hadn't heard, and our very own MIss Tasha Valentine. Tasha mentioned that she "hardly ever does anything acoustic," but I gotta tell ya, as much as I like her on Monday nights with her fired-up band, it was awesome to hear her powerful, soulful voice with just an acoustic guitar and percussion (granted it was Stamps and the formidable Wayne Avers from the Lipstick House Band). I'd like to hear more of that sound from her, more often. Wendy from 3AM also joined Tasha onstage for a song and provided beautiful harmony. 3AM was originally on the bill, but Ligaya's under the weather. I hope she gets better soon. If she needs some chicken-soup, or lemongrass soup or wonton soup or whatever it is those wily Filipinas like to eat, I'll bring her some.

The other nifty event of the evening was running into an old college chum, Laura, whom I hadn't seen since she graduated back in... well... a while ago. She's now living with her partner here in Nashville and hadn't changed much at all since I last saw her. Coolest thing about Laura that I remember is they shot this kinda lame movie, Making the Grade, on our college campus and she got to be a scene-stealing extra in it. I hope to see her back often at the Lip.

The point of all this is, make a point of coming to the Lounge on a Sunday night. Cathey puts on a great show every week, with a varying lineup of very talented artists. You should check it out.

And I know it's cold, but it's not as bad as it has been. Spring will spring soon enough. Put on a damn coat. Come on out and play!

Peace,

Tom

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home